Planning to have a baby is exciting, whether it’s your first pregnancy or you already have children.
Research tells us that if you are fit and well before pregnancy, your baby is more likely to be healthy. It’s important to think about your diet, exercise, and mental health.
Here are some of the things you can do now as part of getting ready for pregnancy.
- Get more active
- Eat a range of healthy foods
- Find what works for you for your mental wellbeing
- Take vitamin D and folic acid every day
- Get NHS support to quit smoking
- Reduce or cut out alcohol
- Learn about breastfeeding
- Make a GP appointment to discuss the implications for pregnancy for any existing health condition
- If you smoke, now is a great time to quit
This NHS short video, with sign language, helps explain how you and your partner can prepare for pregnancy.